Thursday, March 4, 2010

Learned how to shoot a hand gun today...I feel like a responsible Republican!

Today my boyfriend took me to the indoor shooting range and let me fire his .40 caliber Glock hand gun. Today I became a gun-totting redneck Republican...finally!

Of course, I am not saying that you need to have fired a gun to be a Republican but man was that cool...fun...powerful! There is a certain amount of security that come along with something like that. I like to know that, even with my limited 100 rounds of experience, I can now use a gun if I needed too. Probably not quite that effectively but still...I could do it to defend myself. That is a right we all have!

There is no doubt that there are those out there that think what I did today was awful but I have one thing to say to them...its my right and I'm looking forward to being able to do something like that again.

I don't know much about gun control cases or laws so if anyone has any info to share, please feel free. In the next few days I'm going to familiarize myself a little bit with it.

Articles:
The Liberal Case For Gun Control Doesn't Get Far in The Supreme Court: Newsweek
The McDonald v. Chicago Supreme Court case, argued on Tuesday morning, was a good opportunity for liberal advocates of gun rights to present their case in briefs. But they probably won't win the decision. In fact, there is not a single justice that will necessarily side with them.


Starbuck in Crosshairs on Gun-Control Debate: CNN Money
The debate over gun control is heating up at Starbucks. Gun owners bearing arms have been gathering at various Starbucks locations in states where it's legal to do so in public. That's sparked protests from gun-control advocates and kudos from pro-gun groups. The coffee chain says that its stores simply abide by state laws, and it is legal to carry weapons in 43 states. But businesses have the right to prohibit customers from carrying guns in their establishments despite state laws, and that's the crux of this particular dust-up.

Gun-Rights Groups Score Win in National Parks Issue:
Poughkeepsie Journal
The National Rifle Association and other Second Amendment advocacy groups can put a check mark in the win column if they are so inclined. As of Feb. 22, gun owners may possess firearms in all but 20 of the nation's 392 national parks. However, this does not relax the ban on carrying them into visitor's centers and ranger's offices. Firearms are banned in federal buildings.

Woolner: How many guns are too many?: NorthJersey.com
Second Amendment fans were at the Supreme Court Tuesday arguing that the constitutionally protected right to bear arms should kill Chicago’s gun law. The court will probably do just that. But Chicago’s ban on handguns, along with one in suburban neighbor Oak Park, are the only laws that are so restrictive. They don’t reflect what is going on across much of the country. The real problem is that state legislators want to give more people the right to buy more guns and carry them into more places.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter