Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Chick Chat: Importance of Standing Together

As a little girl I was always interested in the past. I would beg my parents to take me to Washington DC, Monticello, Mt Vernon, Williamsburg and St.Augustine, instead of Disney World. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I was strangely obsessed with history as a child, because I wasn't. I did love history, but the thing I was really obsessed with was lives. I wanted to gather information on what life was like!

I wanted to know what life was like back when the basic ideas of this country were being formed. Life when Great Britain was oppressing people's liberties. Life when slavery was legal. Life when women were considered subservient minds. Life when people could pack up all their things into a wagon and travel thousands of miles for a fresh start. Life, good and bad, was what I was interested in.

Although I was interested in the lives of Americans that came before me, I was never interested in government. I never truly considered the influence government and politics had over all the other aspects of life. I was apathetic to the impact government had in the past and therefore apathetic to the impact it was having in my life.

It has taken me a long time to stop being apathetic and realize that I had no true understanding of our past without looking at the government's role. And without an understand of our past we have no true understanding of our future.

It would have been so easy if I would have had the constitution to study history and become a professor. For some reason, I never had the persistence to become particularly well-versed in any specific era.However, what I have come to realize is that I've gain an understanding and deep appreciation for the struggles of America, our Lady Liberty.
She has gone through a lot in past few hundred years.
Lady Liberty has stood strong against the winds of change many times over and I pray that she has no cracks of weakness now as the most critical gusts face her dead on.

I hope that others can take the time to stop being apathetic too. I hope that we can come together as a people and realize that we are Lady Liberty and without us...without all of us standing strong together for our fundamental rights we will have no recognizable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter